If it is your first time to go backpacking, there are basic things you need to find out so you can survive the trip. You are basically going to live on whatever is inside your backpack and if you want something that is durable, buy one of the best carry-on backpack available. By using something that is made of high quality, you are going to notice the advantage it has over other backpacks that are not well-made. If you plan to go on a long backpacking trip, make sure you have everything you need and follow the tips that will be mentioned here.
- Choose someone who is well-experienced to guide you because you are still a beginner in this one. When you have a companion who knows how to do this well, you will have a peace of mind because you don’t have to figure everything out all by yourself. It is usually more fun when you have a buddy with you.
- Pick a place that is very friendly to backpackers because some places aren’t. If you are backpacking for more than one night, set yourself up during the first night and you can relax the next day. There is nothing better than being able to unwind and relax for the rest of the trip.
- When you choose the clothes that you’ll bring for backpacking, you should have a base layer, convertible pants or shorts, mid-cut boots or even the one used for hiking or walking on trails. Do not wear socks that are made of cotton because they will cause blisters. Ideal ones are wool or synthetic ones used for hiking. Always bring a jacket with you because you’ll never when you are going to need it. Keeping yourself warm is important and if you plan to go camping, your torso will be protected from bugs. Your body will be insulated keeping you from experiencing chills.
- Know everything about the place you are going to by reading guidebooks because some authors of guidebooks provide very helpful pictures about the place. Going online also helps and there are backpacking websites you can visit. If you have chosen a destination, check online about the backpacking experiences that people had regarding the place.
- If you have friends who are well-traveled, ask them to join you or refer places that you can visit in a certain destination. They can even recommend tourist spots you can go to that will match your taste and satisfy your curiosity about the place.
- Have a checklist that you can refer to for items that you need to bring so you won’t forget anything. By having a checklist, you will be able to organize your thoughts well and there is very little chance that you are going to over pack. This is not something wise to do because you should only bring the things that you are going to need for the entire trip. Carrying an excessively heavy backpack is not something you will enjoy.
- Expecting too much will only disappoint you especially with backpacking so learn to make adjustments. You will not be living in your own city for a few days so use the resources you have.
These are what you need to keep in mind when going backpacking for the first time. It is an experience you will never forget because the adventure, reflections, realizations, and other things you will learn are enough to make you happy. Always bring the things you need and don’t forget to put safety first. Backpacking is being done by many and nothing should stop you.